The Romanesque chapel and the collection of world musical instruments

The Musée de la Castre and the Romanesque chapel

The barrel vault nave with its transverse pointed arches was part of the Lérins monastery. The monks lived in the castle at the top of the Suquet hill. For a long time, this was the only parish church in Cannes, and was shared by the monks and the people of Cannes. The church was built in the 12th century and dedicated to Our Lady of Le Puy. It was enlarged on several occasions in the Middle Ages, but kept its Romanesque style. The very thick, high walls had just a few small openings, including one in the shape of a cross that looks east above the apse where the altar stood. At the top of the pilasters bearing the transverse arches are chapiters or capitals with sculpted human faces. This solid building also had a defensive purpose and was part of a system of ramparts defending the castle. The chapel was abandoned by the local population in the 17th century after they had funded and built Notre-Dame d’Espérance, a church that was independent from the monastery.

The extraordinary collection of musical instruments...

The collection of musical instruments from all over the world in the Musée de la Castre, with over 400 items, is one of the most important in a French museum. They come from several collections owned by 19th century travellers, such as Edmond Ginoux de La Coche (1811-1870).
The musical instruments from Africa, Asia, Oceania and America are displayed according to four major categories, depending on the instrument's source of vibration: the aerophones, the idiophones, the membranophones and the chordophones.